Cross the Thornton Bridge and enter the Humana Grand Allee, pronounced al·lée, designed to be the “Best Walk in Louisville”. Here you may take a walk on one of our walking trails, or combine them for a one, two or over three mile loop. The entire formal walk runs along the same axis so that from the top of the Thornton or Sara and W.L. Lyons Brown Bridge, you can look down the entire Grand Allee—quite a sight! Pack a picnic to enjoy beneath the shade of the Oak Picnic Grove, or near the fountain in Humana Legacy Commons. See what’s growing in the agricultural fields and what’s swimming in the Allee Wetlands. This area is a great place to take in a variety of sights!
- Humana Legacy Commons: Sit and enjoy the fountain in this picnic area dedicated to our Capital Campaign donors. Read the donor names on the fountain, or read a book in this comfortable spot.
- Country Lane Walk: Traverse this crushed stone, tree-lined path along a beautiful stone wall from Humana Legacy Commons to the Boardwalk; a walk built to evoke the traditional Kentucky landscape.
- Boardwalk: Be sure to stroll in this unique place where you can watch (and listen to) birds and insects living in the Allee Wetlands.
- Allee Wetlands: a 3-acre wetland provides important wildlife and aquatic habitat. Taking a stroll on the boardwalk will reveal opportunities for bird watching as well as plant and wildlife viewing. Small fish, amphibians, and a variety of aquatic insects live here. This dynamic habitat also provides food, water and cover for waterfowl, song birds, small mammals, and reptiles.
- Festival Promenade: A formal, paved walk lined with trees, shrubs, benches and room for vendor tents during festivals and farmers’ markets. Similar to a Parisian parkway, you’ll love taking a walk here!
- Oak Picnic Grove: Pack a picnic and relax under the shade of the large Oaks growing in this area near old agriculture barns.
- Sassafras Bosque: Take a short trail from the Festival Promenade to smell the aromatic sassafras growing here.
- Black Willow Trail: Want to get off the beaten path? Take a wide loop around the Humana Grand Allee on this 1.6 mile crushed stone hiking trail rated “easy.”
- Sports Fields: 4 fields are available along the east side of the Humana Grand Allee for competition ranging from soccer to lacrosse, and so many other sports in between. These sports fields are for use for approved clubs and organizations. Field time must be reserved in advance. Please email email@example.com for reservation information.
If you're interseted in hosting an event at the Festival Promenade, contact us at (502) 584-0350.