In The Parklands we're making preparations for warmer weather. There are things you can do in your own yard to prepare it for a successful spring:
1. Prune branches that broke over the winter from heavy ice and snow.
2. Remove old mulch or work it into soil before adding new mulch.
3. Think about places you would like to see spring bulbs appear next year. Order them and plant them this fall.
4. When the ground dries out, lightly rake up soil and plant grass seed in bare areas.
5. If you did not fertilize your lawn in November, fertilize it with a pre-emergent weed killer. Fall fertilization is much better than a spring fertilization, so plan on it this fall.
6. Keep a log or journal of the work you do on your property and write notes of your observations. Write down ideas you would like to implement later in the year.
7. Prune summer flowering shrubs that bloom on new wood.
8. March/April is the best time to prune evergreens before new growth starts.
9. Prevent ground erosion by cleaning gutters and making sure downspouts are working properly.
10. If you have space, setup a compost bin for all your yard waste and vegetable food scraps and begin to create your own soil!
Rzepecki was the Park Superintendent from October of 2011 through April of 2014. Before that Gary served as Chief of Park Operations for the Queen Anne’s County Parks and Recreation Department in Maryland. Rzepecki holds a BS in Ornamental Horticulture from Temple University and has over twenty five years of landscape and park operations leadership experience. Gary is a member of Kentucky Native Plant Society and Kentucky Nursery and Landscape Association. Contact me about: Park conditions, Park Horticulture, Building Conditions and Maintenance
Being a donor-supported public park means we rely on donations, not tax dollars, for annual operations each year. Because of your generosity, we are able to maintain, program, and further develop this extraordinary public space without charging an entry fee. Together we work to enhance quality of life and help our community and economy grow in ways that are healthy, sustainable, and enjoyable for people of all ages. Help us reach our goal of sustaining The Parklands by becoming a Member today. Members make it happen!
Become a Member